Review on The Two Princesses of Bamarre

My best friend suggested this book for me, and I read it because of her. But let me tell you, that's not the reason I enjoyed it. I will keep beating myself up for not reading the author's name on this book (or rather, not paying attention to it), otherwise I would never have put it off. Gail Carson Levine is on my auto-buy list. She is one of the few on there, since I don't generally take an author into account when I read a book. Okay, that's a lie, I do take them into account, but not enough to just buy it if it has their name on it, except for the few on my auto-buy list. Gail Carson Levine is the author of Ella Enchanted and Fairest, two of my favorite books. I am thrilled to be officially reviewing one of her books on my blog. So here we go!

The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
The back:
Brave and adventurous, Princess Meryl dreams of fighting dragons and protecting the kingdom of Bamarre. Shy and fearful, Princess Addie is content to stay within the safety of the castle walls. The one thing that the sisters share is their unwavering love for each other.
The tables are turned, however, when the Grey Death leaves Meryl fatally ill. To save her sister, meek Princess Addie must find the courage to set out on a dangerous quest filled with dragons, unknown magic, and death itself. Time is running out, and the sisters' lives—and the future of the kingdom of Bamarre—hang in the balance.
Age: 8 years and up
Rating: 5 stars
We start out with Princess Addie. She is meek and fearful. Her sister is the total opposite, she wants adventure and danger. I immediately side with Addie. I wouldn't be as fearful as her, but it seems Addie has more sense of reality. Meryl is more adventurous, but not aware of the dangers. Fortunately, Addie asks Meryl to put a hold on her adventures until Addie gets married (which obviously Addie intends on putting off for forever).
Once again, I am sucked in to the world Levine creates. It is amazing and full of magic and fairy-tale creatures.
I loved watching Addie grow. The whole book is in Addie's point of view, and watching her blossom from this shy shell to this brave flower made me so proud of her. Addie does so much, and she grew into herself because of the love she has for her sister.
As in all of Levine's books that I've read, there is love in this book (the romantic kind), but the focus of the book is the growth of the main character. Addie goes on this adventure to save her sister—and ends up saving the whole kingdom of Bamarre.
The ending surprised me the most. I did not see a twist coming, and it was interesting. I loved what Levine did, but it was a bit bittersweet. I was crying and smiling at the end of this book.
I absolutely loved this book. It had love, adventure, magic, fairies, ogres, dragons, specters, the list goes on and on. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves magic and love. And I also recommend you to read Ella Enchanted and Fairest, which are two absolutely amazing books.

Yours,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,