12 Books of Christmas: Soul Born


This 12 Books of Christmas thing is fun!! The third featured book is:

Soul Born by Kevin James Breaux
Blurb:
All Opal wanted was to be respected as a wielder of magic, but her teachers passed her over time and time again. When a mysterious warlord embarks on a conquest to destroy the lands of Illyia, Opal seizes an opportunity to step out from the shadows of her instructors and take her rightful spot among them.
Tala, an alluring elf, was banished from her tribe, hunted and nearly killed by the beasts that dwell in the deep forests, but more than anything else she is a survivor. Joining forces with an ancient elemental power Tala finds herself in the center of an unrelenting human war.
Flesh like leather and bone as strong as steel, Karn, a veteran from the first kingdom to fall, is fueled by vengeance. While pushing ever headlong into battle Karn begins to recall memories of another life; ghosts that haunt his dreams.
Through death of a soul, their world is born.
Ta-dah! Sounds foreboding, doesn't it?

Have you read this book? If so, what rating would you give it? If not, why do you want to read it?

I have indeed! I read it about a year ago when my good friend Diana Ilinca introduced me to Kevin and urged me to read his books. Kevin, being the awesome guy that he is, allowed me to read his books for free. Recently, I read it again when I got the paperback.

I give this book 5 stars!

Why did you pick this book as one of your twelve this Christmas?

This book has what I call "real life endings." The book doesn't necessarily end happily (Hello? It's called dark fantasy!) There are characters that are bad that you like and characters that are good that you loathe. I like reading "real life endings" because it connects with me—it's kind of like real life. 

But this book isn't all about the dark. It has a lot of fantasy and amazingly awesome magic. I picked this book because everyone needs to read out of their comfort zone—and with luck will love it just like I did.

What's the age limit for this book?

This book is for people 17 years and up. I only say this because it's dark. There's gore and blood and death. I will say that, to be totally honest, there are horror films out there that are worse. It's really up to you to decide, but I think 17 years and up is a good age limit for this book.

Yours,

Labels: , , , , , ,