FFT: Books to Movies

Sometimes, I absolutely, positively hate it when books I love are made into movies. Besides the fact that they'll no doubt get some details wrong and cut out good parts, it leaves nothing to the imagination.

Take, for example, the Twilight series. I actually enjoyed reading the books. I read the books waayyyy before the movies came out. I pre-ordered Breaking Dawn. But then I saw a commercial for the movie they were going to make about Twilight. You can ask my family, I had to leave the room because I was furious. I loved the books and I knew, I just knew that the movie wasn't going to live up to my expectations. And it didn't.

Another example is Eragon. We all know about this catastrophe. The movie ruined everything. If someone hadn't read the book, sure, it was okay. But compare the book to the movie and there is no hesitation on my part to say that the book will always win.

There have only been a few movies that I think have been better than the books, and I can't think of them right now. But sometimes, when I really like a book, I try not to see the movie. I might give it a chance, but then again I might not. Not only am I 98% positive that the person I pictured in my head will not be the person they pick to play the character, but I am just so dedicated to the characters in the book that I can't bear to see them botched.

There are a few exceptions, of course. I liked the Harry Potter movies (though the books were better). I loved the people that play them. But these are, as always, only exceptions.

So, what do you think about books being made into movies? Which books/movies come to mind?

Yours,

Labels: , ,