Review on Significance

I found this book because I had been surfing on the web and saw that this one was free on Amazon and the blurb really intrigued me. I had been wanting to read a story like this one so I said, what the heck, why not?
Significance by Shelly Crane
Maggie is a seventeen year old girl who’s had a bad year. She was smart and on track, but then her mom left, her dad is depressed, she’s graduating - barely - and her boyfriend of almost three years dumped her for a college football scholarship. Lately she thinks life is all about hanging on by a thread and is gripping tight with everything she has.

Then she meets Caleb.

She saves his life and instantly knows there’s something about him that's intriguing. But things change when they touch, sparks ignite. Literally. They imprint with each other and she sees their future life together flash before her eyes. She learns that not only is she his soul mate, and can feel his heartbeat in her chest, but there is a whole other world of people with gifts and abilities that she never knew existed. She herself is experiencing supernatural changes unlike anything she's ever felt before and she needs the touch of his skin to survive.

Now, not only has her dad come out of his depression to be a father again, and a pain as well, but Caleb’s enemies know he’s imprinted and are after Maggie to stop them both from gaining their abilities and take her from him.

Can Caleb save her or will they be forced to live without each other after just finding one another? 
Series: Significance, #1
Age: Young Adult (I’d say 16 years and up)
Review: 3.5 butterflies
I liked this story. I’d been looking for an insta-love story, but of the paranormal kind. I really liked this one.

I really liked the premise of having a significant, who is your soul mate and your perfect match. In many stories now-a-days, when a person finds their “mate,” “true love,” or “soul mate” you get couples who try to fight it because they don’t want to be with that person, etc. and it annoys me. This is the person who you are meant to be with! But not here. Maggie and Caleb can’t stand to be apart from each other—quite literally, because otherwise they’re in pain.

Maggie isn’t a stupid weakling, but she understands why Caleb is sometimes a bit protective of her and is smart enough to cooperate and listen. Caleb isn’t an over-protective caveman, he listens and he pays attention. Everything he does is for Maggie—she’s the only one that matters to him right now. Caleb is sensitive and listens and I really, really liked him for Maggie—they really complemented each other well.

Kyle… Kyle annoyed me. A lot. I realize that this was probably what was supposed to happen with this character, but I just wanted to keep him away from Maggie for ever and ever. Seriously. He needs a slap upside the head.

One thing that I really didn’t like in this story was Maggie’s father. His sudden recovery from being a bad father for a year is solved by seeing his daughter be with a boy she’s serious about? And then he acts like he cares and like he wasn’t a complete ass-hat for a whole freaking year but he forced Maggie to work her butt off in high school so she could pay for clothes and food! What? And then Maggie forgives him because she knew he was having problems?

I had to stop reading for a bit. He is her father. He shouldn’t have been an ass for the past year and then “whoops, sorry, everything’s back to normal now.” I had a hard time accepting that.

Once I got past his speedy recovery into fatherhood, I just tried to pretend like it never happened and that he was just a normal father. Once I did that, I was able to continue reading (though I did get really mad at him throughout the book). If I pretended like that whole year of ass-hattery didn’t happen, he was actually a good dad who cared about his daughter.

Another character I didn’t like was Bish, Maggie’s brother. Where does he get off on acting like Maggie’s father? Finally, when Maggie’s father is on board and everything, now he decides he’s going to be telling Maggie what to do. No. Nope. Not happening. I understand he’s concerned about his sister, but maybe there is a reason her father and Caleb’s family isn’t worried. It’s 50-ish against one for a reason, jerk.

(The ending, by the way, left me mad at Bish and Kyle, for many, many reasons.)

Phew. Rant over.

I loved the whole idea of this story. Having a significant, getting special powers, it was all amazing. I loved the two ‘clans’ and everything. Even with Maggie’s father and Bish, I still enjoyed this story and all of the obstacles Caleb and Maggie had to go through, and I liked the main characters immensely. I am looking forward to reading the next book.
Book links: Goodreads * Amazon * B&N * Kobo * iTunes * Sony * Smashwords
Currently free on Sony!

Yours,

Labels: , , , , , ,