Review on Scorched Treachery

So as you can see from the back-to-back reviews of this series, it is a series I’ve enjoyed very much. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series (comes out this December!) and I hope you all give this series a chance!
Scorched Treachery by Rebecca Ethington
While Joclyn is trapped in the tormenting hell of Cail’s mind, the battle around her only continues to grow and spread.
*
Edmund has infiltrated the underground hallways of Prague, guiding the massacre that would end the lives of the last of the great magical race. In her attempts to stop him, Wynifred has been captured and her magic restrained. Chained up in the ancient dungeons of Prague, her fate is left in the hands of her father, who has tried to kill her before.
With Ryland’s screams and Sain’s fragmented sights as her only company, Wyn must rely on something that has been hidden deep inside of her for centuries to help them break free.
*
Ilyan’s whole life has been building up to one purpose. Protect the Silnỳ. He knows what he must do, and he has no doubt in his ability to do so.
But when his father’s magic removes Joclyn’s mind from her body, he is left protecting the shell of the one person he loves. Desperate to find a way to break her free of her prison, he makes a choice. And that one choice changes everything.
Now, Ilyan finds himself bound to Joclyn in a way that he never knew to be possible.
They say that blood is thicker than water, but Black Water burns, and Ilyan’s heart may not be strong enough to keep it pumping through his veins and give the girl he loves back into his brother’s care.
Even if he can, it may not be safe to do so.
Series: Imdalind, #3
Age: 16 years and up
Review: 4.5 stars
While this review does not contain any spoilers for Scorched Treachery, it does contain a few spoilers for Kiss of Fire and Eyes of Ember, the previous books in the series.

When I found out that this book was going to be in Wyn and Ilyan’s perspective, and we wouldn’t be advancing into what would happen after book 2, Eyes of Ember, I was a bit hesitant. I wanted more info! I wanted to know what was going to happen!

I needn’t have worried. Since Joclyn isn’t with Wyn, a LOT of happens that we, as readers, didn’t know about. So much information was revealed to us that I honestly was a bit flabbergasted!

Let’s start with Wyn. It’s absolutely and positively horrible to hear about what Edmund and her own father did to her. I felt for her deeply.

What I really liked about this book is that since we already know all of the secrets Ilyan had kept from Joclyn, there are no secrets being kept from the main characters in this book. Okay, wait, that’s a lie. But it didn’t seem like it was “OMG KEEPING ALL OF THESE SECRETS FROM YOU AND YOU CAN’T HAVE THEM,” like it was with the other books.

The one secret, however, that was about Wyn and being kept from Wyn definitely shocked me. A lot. Poor Wyn, she’s been through so much (just like the rest of Edmund’s children) that I don’t know how they’re (somewhat) sane.

And it was really good to see things from Ilyan’s perspective as well. Again, since Joclyn was inside Cail’s mind during this period in time, there wasn’t much repetitiveness in that aspect. Only a few things overlapped towards the end, but that was to be expected.

Wyn’s point of view was definitely my favorite of the two. I loved seeing things through her eyes and from someone who’s lived with magic all of their life. There was also a lot of action and information coming from her side of the story that I loved every second of it!

Let’s talk about the rest of the characters, since they’re very important in this book.

Sain: We get so much more about him in this book. Previously it was all about Joclyn’s hatred towards her father and how she didn’t want to see him, that we didn’t really get to know him very well. As I read about him, I quickly became to admire him and his strength.

Talon: He had been a two-dimensional character up until this point, and still somewhat continued to be. We don’t really get to know much about this good man in this book, just that Wyn really loves him and he loves her.

Thom: Once again, he had been more of a two-dimensional character. We do, however, know more about him in this book. So many things happened that made me interested in him and I look forward to more interactions between him and Wyn.

Cail: Um, so not expecting this one. Many things revealed his actions and I can’t say anything more otherwise I spoil the plot. You guys don’t know how hard it is to keep this spoiler-free!

Ovailia: What a bitch. I didn’t expect anything different from her but seriously, she’s such a jerk from beginning to end. Gah.

And finally…Ryland: Oh, Ryland, you poor, poor man. Tortured, beaten, and exhausted, it’s no wonder the bad guys have been able to twist his sense of right and wrong. I really hope he redeems himself.

There’s a lot of action, love, magic, and heartbreak in this book—and it’s most definitely worth it. This book definitely exceeded my expectations. Like every other book in this series, there are plot twists that you won’t see coming. Some are pleasant surprises and some are unpleasant surprises, but I absolutely love the way the author writes these books—they suck me in and keep me entertained!

I will impatiently be waiting the next book!

I recommend this book especially because of the bucket-load of information we get from it, but also because it’s got great writing, an awesome plot, and fantastic characters.
Book links: Goodreads * Amazon * B&N * Kobo

I also found a blog post from the author explaining about the POV shift and found it immensly helpful in understanding why she did it!

Yours,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,